- 2 chicken breast fillets (about 280gm each), tenderloins removed and reserved for another use
- 140 ml extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 1 lemon, juice and finely grated rind only
- 2 tbsp finely chopped oregano
- 2 tbsp whole oregano leaves
- 80 gm coarse fresh white breadcrumbs
- 20 gm finely grated parmesan
- 2 eggs, lightly beaten
- 50 gm drained marinated capsicum (see note), finely chopped
- 30 ml aged red wine vinegar
- olive oil, For shallow frying
- 1Halve chicken breasts lengthways and pound to 4mm thick between two pieces of baking paper with a meat mallet. Halve each piece widthways and place in a single layer in a non-reactive shallow dish.
- 2Combine 80ml extra-virgin olive oil, garlic, half the rind, lemon juice and half the chopped oregano in a bowl, season to taste, pour over chicken, turn to coat and marinate for 10 minutes.
- 3Combine breadcrumbs, parmesan, remaining rind and remaining chopped oregano in a shallow tray, season to taste and set aside.
- 4Place egg in a bowl and set aside. Remove chicken from marinade, roll each piece to form a cylinder, and skewer with a wooden toothpick. Dip each piece of chicken first in egg, then in breadcrumb mixture, shaking off excess, and set aside.
- 5Combine marinated capsicum, vinegar, remaining extra-virgin olive oil and oregano leaves, season to taste and set aside.
- 6Heat 1cm olive oil in a large frying pan over medium-high heat, add spiedini and turn occasionally until golden and cooked through (8-10 minutes), drain on absorbent paper and serve immediately drizzled with marinated capsicum dressing.
Note Marinated capsicum is available from select delicatessens.