This Italian classic is usually made with wild chicory shoots but, with availability limited in Australia, young chicory leaves work just as well. Soak the leaves in iced water to make them really crisp.
- 1 bunch young chicory, trimmed, washed
- 1 radicchio di Treviso, leaves separated
- 4 anchovy fillets
- 1 garlic clove, finely chopped
- 2 tbsp red wine vinegar
- 1 tbsp lemon juice
- 125 ml (½ cup) olive oil
- 1Place chicory in a bowl of iced water and stand until crisp, adding more ice if necessary to keep water ice-cold (20-30 minutes). Drain well, arrange on a serving plate with radicchio and set aside.
- 2Meanwhile, for anchovy dressing, pound anchovy and garlic in a mortar and pestle to a coarse paste. Add vinegar and lemon juice and stir to combine, then slowly add olive oil, stirring continuously until oil is combined. Season to taste, drizzle over chicory and radicchio and serve immediately.
Drink Suggestion: Extra-dry sparkling prosecco. Drink suggestion by Max Allen