- 200 gm dark chocolate (55% cocoa solids), finely chopped
- 120 ml extra-virgin olive oil
- 4 eggs, separated
- 80 gm raw caster sugar
- 20 ml espresso coffee
- 20 ml Bourbon
- 80 gm (2/3 cup) pecans
- 25 gm pure icing sugar, sieved
- 1 tsp Bourbon
- ¼ tsp dried chilli flakes
- Pinch of ground chilli
- 1Melt chocolate in a heatproof bowl over a saucepan of simmering water, stirring occasionally, until smooth (2-3 minutes), add oil in a thin, steady stream, stirring to combine, and set aside.
- 2Whisk yolks and half the sugar in an electric mixer until thick and pale (2-3 minutes), fold in chocolate mixture, coffee and Bourbon and set aside.
- 3Whisk 2 eggwhites (reserve remaining eggwhites for another use) and a pinch of salt in the clean bowl of an electric mixer until soft peaks form (1-2 minutes), gradually add remaining sugar and whisk until glossy (1-2 minutes). Fold into chocolate mixture with 1 tsp sea salt, then divide among six 200ml serving glasses and refrigerate until firm (2-3 hours).
- 4Meanwhile, for spiced pecans, preheat oven to 180C. Combine ingredients in a bowl with ½ tsp sea salt, spread on an oven tray lined with baking paper, bake until golden and crisp (4-5 minutes) and cool to room temperature. Coarsely crumble over mousse and serve.
This recipe is from the September 2012 issue of .