- 100 gm butter, coarsely chopped
- 150 gm (1 cup) plain flour
- 4 eggs
Chocolate and Armagnac ice-cream
- 200 gm dark chocolate (70% cocoa solids)
- 50 ml Armagnac
- 500 ml (2 cups) milk
- 120 gm caster sugar
- 1 vanilla bean, split and seeds scraped
- 1 tbsp Dutch-process cocoa
- 7 egg yolks
- 400 gm crème fraîche
Armagnac prune compote
- 125 ml Armagnac
- 100 gm caster sugar
- 300 gm Agen prunes (see note)
- 100 gm dark chocolate (70% cocoa solids)
- 200 gm double cream
- 1For chocolate and Armagnac ice-cream, combine chocolate and Armagnac in a heatproof bowl placed over simmering water, stir occasionally until smooth (5-7 minutes), set aside. Combine milk, sugar, vanilla and cocoa in a saucepan over medium heat. Bring to just below the boil, stirring to dissolve sugar (3-5 minutes). Meanwhile, whisk egg yolks until pale (3-5 minutes). Pour milk mixture over egg yolks, stirring to combine, then return to pan and stir continuously over low heat until mixture coats the back of a spoon thickly (8-10 minutes). Pour mixture over chocolate, stir to combine, place bowl over ice and stand until chilled. Whisk crème fraîche to soft peaks, fold through chocolate mixture and freeze in an ice-cream machine according to manufacturer’s instructions. Makes about 2 litres.
- 2For Armagnac prune compote, combine ingredients in a saucepan, cook over low heat until syrupy (30 minutes). Set aside to cool.
- 3Preheat oven to 180C. Bring butter and 250ml water to boil in a saucepan over high heat. Add flour, beat with a wooden spoon until combined. Remove from heat, add eggs one at a time, beating well after each addition. Transfer mixture to a piping bag with a 2cm plain nozzle, pipe fifteen 3½cm-diameter rounds onto baking-paper-lined oven trays. Bake until golden (15 minutes), remove from oven, pierce bases with a knife, return to oven until dry (45 minutes-1 hour). Cool on wire rack.
- 4Meanwhile, for crème somptueuse, stir ingredients in a heatproof bowl placed over simmering water until smooth (3-5 minutes).
- 5To serve, halve pastries horizontally, place two prunes in each base, add a small scoop of ice-cream, sandwich with pastry tops. Serve with crème somptueuse drizzled over.
Note Agen prunes, from Agen in France, are available from select delicatessens. If unavailable, substitute other pitted prunes.