"Why limit yourself to cornflakes?" asks Alistair Wise. "Roll these in any breakfast cereal, coconut chips or try goji berry granola chunks with flaxseed and try selling them outside your local gym."
- 115 gm softened butter
- 100 gm caster sugar
- 100 gm brown sugar
- 1 egg
- 225 gm plain flour, sifted (1½ cups)
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 100 gm coarsely chopped dried pitted dates
- 90 gm cornflakes (3 cups)
- 1Preheat oven to 170°C, and line oven trays with baking paper. Beat butter and sugars in an electric mixer until pale and fluffy (3-4 minutes). Beat in egg, then add remaining ingredients except cornflakes and mix until smooth.
- 2Preheat oven to 170°C. Divide dough into 12 even balls and, with damp hands, roll balls in cornflakes. Place on trays, leaving 5cm-6cm between each to allow for spreading, and bake until golden (15 minutes). Cool on tray or on a rack. Cookies will keep for up to a week in an airtight container.