You’ll need to begin this recipe a day ahead.
- 8 quail eggs
- 300 gm podded broad beans (about 800gm unpodded)
- 2 thin slices of jamón serrano, thinly sliced (see note)
- ½ cup finely chopped mint leaves
- 60 ml (¼ cup) extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 golden shallot, thinly sliced
- 1 tbsp chardonnay vinegar
- 1For shallot vinaigrette, combine all ingredients in a bowl, whisk to emulsify, season to taste and set aside.
- 2Bring a saucepan of water to the boil and cook eggs until soft-boiled (2½ minutes). Remove with a slotted spoon and refresh under cold water. Peel and set aside.
- 3Blanch broad beans in boiling water for 3 minutes. Drain and, when cool enough to handle, peel and set aside.
- 4Halve eggs and arrange on a plate with broad beans and jamón. Season to taste, then add mint and vinaigrette to taste.
Jamón serrano is available from select delicatessens.
Drink Suggestion: A nutty amontillado. Drink suggestion by Max Allen