You will need to begin this recipe 1 day ahead.
- 6 baby red capsicums
- 250 gm salt cod, soaked in three changes of water in refrigerator over 24 hours
- 1 onion, thinly sliced
- 310 ml extra-virgin olive oil (1¼ cups)
- 2 vine-ripened tomatoes, peeled, seeds removed and roughly chopped
- 75 gm black olives (½ cup)
- 2 hard-boiled eggs, peeled and quartered
- To serve: crusty bread
- 180 ml extra-virgin olive oil, plus extra to serve (¾ cup)
- 60 ml sherry vinegar (¼ cup)
- 1Preheat oven to 220C. Place baby capsicums on a baking tray and roast for 20 minutes or until tender. Cool slightly, then remove skins and seeds.
- 2Drain salt cod and dry on absorbent paper. Cut into strips, discard skin and bones, then place in a bowl with onion. Pour 250ml (1 cup) olive oil over and refrigerate, covered with plastic wrap, for 1 hour.
- 3For dressing, place olive oil and sherry vinegar in a bowl. Season generously with sea salt and freshly ground black pepper and whisk to combine. Set aside.
- 4Using a slotted spoon, remove salt cod and onion from bowl and place in a separate bowl, discard olive oil. Add tomatoes, capsicum and olives, then drizzle with dressing and combine well. Transfer to a serving plate, add boiled eggs and serve with crusty bread and extra olive oil, if required.
Drink Suggestion: Young Hunter Valley semillon. Drink suggestion by Andy Harris