"The flavours in this dish, while not really traditional, work very well together." Joseph Abboud, Rumi
- 12 golden shallots
- 130 ml olive oil
- 210 gm cracked freekah, rinsed
- 50 gm almonds, coarsely chopped
- 1 cup coarsely chopped flat-leaf parsley (loosely packed)
- 55 ml extra-virgin olive oil
- 35 ml red wine vinegar
- 2 tsp pomegranate molasses
- 1Preheat oven to 180C. Spread shallots on a small oven tray, drizzle with 30ml olive oil, season to taste and roast until tender and caramelised (40-45 minutes).
- 2Meanwhile, bring 400ml water and 1 tsp salt to the boil in a saucepan over medium-high heat, add freekah, stir, bring back to the boil and cover with a lid. Reduce heat to low, cook until freekah is tender and water evaporates (25-30 minutes), drain and transfer to a bowl.
- 3Meanwhile, for pomegranate dressing, whisk ingredients in a small bowl to combine, then season to taste.
- 4Heat remaining oil in a small saucepan over medium-high heat, add almonds and stir occasionally until golden (2-3 minutes), drain in a metal sieve then on absorbent paper, then add to freekah (reserve a few to serve) along with roast shallots. Drizzle pomegranate dressing over freekah mixture. Add parsley, season to taste, toss to combine and serve scattered with reserved almonds.
This recipe is from the February 2012 issue of .
Drink Suggestion: 2008 Yering Station Chardonnay.