Here's a fresh take on the traditional baked stuffing, with added crunch from nuts and celery. It can be prepared up to two days ahead; bring it to room temperature and dress it just before serving.
- 180 gm freekeh, rinsed and drained (1 cup)
- 80 gm dried sour cherries, soaked in 2 tbsp warm water for 10 minutes, drained
- 3 celery stalks from the heart, thinly sliced and tender leaves reserved
- 2 cups (loosely packed) flat-leaf parsley, torn
- 1 cup (loosely packed) mint, torn
- 80 gm roasted almonds, coarsely chopped (½ cup)
- 35 gm roasted pistachio nuts, coarsely chopped (¼ cup)
- 80 gm Greek feta, coarsely crumbled
- 50 ml sherry vinegar
- 1½ tsp Dijon mustard
- ½ garlic clove, finely chopped
- ½ tsp crushed cumin seeds
- 125 ml olive oil (½ cup)
- 1Place freekeh in a saucepan with 375ml water and bring to a simmer, then reduce heat to low, cover and cook until freekeh is tender (25-30 minutes). Set aside covered to steam for 5 minutes, then spread in a thin layer on an oven tray and stir occasionally until cool (30 minutes).
- 2For vinaigrette, whisk vinegar, mustard, garlic and cumin seeds in a bowl. Add olive oil, whisk to combine and season to taste.
- 3Combine remaining ingredients except feta and half the herbs in a bowl, add vinaigrette, season to taste and toss to combine. Serve scattered with feta and remaining herbs.