- 2 buffalo mozzarella, thickly sliced
- 100 gm fresh breadcrumbs
- 2 tbsp finely grated lemon rind
- For dusting: seasoned flour
- 1 egg lightly beaten with 2 tbsp milk
- For shallow-frying: olive oil
- 12 sage leaves
- To serve: lemon wedges
Anchovy, caper and parsley sauce
- 6 cloves roasted garlic (see note)
- 6 anchovy fillets, coarsely chopped
- 20 gm salted capers, rinsed
- 1 lemon, juiced and rind finely grated
- 185 ml extra-virgin olive oil (¾ cup)
- 1 cup flat-leaf parsley leaves (loosely packed)
- 1For sauce, process garlic, anchovy, capers, lemon rind and juice in a small food processor until smooth, add oil and parsley and process until finely chopped, season
to taste with freshly ground black pepper and set aside. Makes about 1 cup.
- 2Place mozzarella slices in a colander placed over a bowl and drain for 1 hour. Combine breadcrumbs and lemon rind in a bowl and season to taste with sea salt and freshly ground black pepper.
- 3Dust mozzarella slices in flour, then egg, shaking off excess between each step. Repeat, then coat in breadcrumbs, shaking off excess between each step. Place in
a single layer on a baking paper-lined tray and place in freezer for 20 minutes.
- 4Heat a large frying pan filled with oil 5cm deep over medium-high heat, add sage and fry for 30 seconds or until crisp, remove using a slotted spoon and drain on absorbent paper. Fry mozzarella, in batches, turning once, for 2 minutes or until golden and drain on absorbent paper.
- 5To serve, arrange mozzarella and sage on a plate and serve immediately with anchovy, caper and parsley sauce and lemon wedges.
Note For roasted garlic, wrap garlic tightly in aluminium foil and roast at 200C for 30 minutes or until soft and golden, cool, then squeeze garlic from their skins.