All the wonderful flavours of spanakopita make their way into this punchy baked pasta.
- 400 gm dried fusilli
- 70 ml olive oil, plus extra for greasing
- 4 spring onions, thinly sliced
- 1 fennel bulb, diced, fronds reserved
- 400 gm silverbeet (about 1 small bunch), half the stalks and leaves thinly sliced separately
- 2 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 1 bunch spinach, trimmed and thinly sliced
- Finely grated rind and juice of 1 lemon, plus extra wedges, to serve
- 150 gm kefalograviera (see note), coarsely grated
- 120 gm crumbled feta
- ½ cup coarsely chopped mint
- ½ cup coarsely chopped flat-leaf parsley
- ½ cup coarsely chopped dill
- ¼ tsp dried mint
- 4 sheets filo pastry
- Sesame seeds, for scattering
- 20 gm melted butter
- 1Preheat oven to 180C and lightly oil four 15cm-diameter baking dishes (or a large baking dish if you prefer). Cook pasta in a large saucepan of well-salted boiling water until not quite al dente (8-10 minutes). Drain, reserving 2 tbsp cooking water, and return both to pan.
- 2Meanwhile, heat 2 tbsp oil in a large saucepan over medium-high heat, add spring onion, fennel and silverbeet stalks, and sauté until tender (4-5 minutes). Add garlic and stir until fragrant, then add silverbeet leaves and spinach, and sauté until just wilted (2-3 minutes). Stir in lemon rind and juice, season to taste, then add to pasta along with cheeses and herbs. Toss to combine, season to taste and divide among baking dishes.
- 3Roll filo sheets together into a cylinder and slice into 1cm strips. Toss in a bowl to unravel, scatter with sesame seeds, drizzle with butter and remaining oil, and toss to coat. Scatter on top of pasta and bake until filling is bubbling and pastry is golden (25-30 minutes). Scatter with fennel fronds and serve hot with lemon wedges.
Kefalograviera, a hard cheese made from sheep’s milk or a combination of sheep and goat’s milk, is available from select delicatessens. If it’s unavailable, substitute pecorino.
Drink Suggestion: Bone-dry Greek assyrtiko Drink suggestion by Max Allen
The Latest from Gourmet Traveller
- Food NewsThe Melbourne bakery that pipes fresh cannoli to orderYesterday 4:00am