You'll need to begin this recipe the day before.
- 220 gm caster sugar (1 cup)
- 145 gm liquid glucose (see note)
- 10 cm piece of ginger, cut into julienne
- 5 kaffir lime leaves, coarsely torn
- 2 tbsp lime juice
- 550 gm mango flesh, coarsely chopped (about 2 large mangoes)
- 120 gm light palm sugar, crushed
- 60 gm caster sugar
- 50 ml lime juice
- 1Combine sugar, glucose, ginger, lime leaves, lime juice and 3 cups water in a saucepan. Stir over medium-high heat until sugar dissolves. Bring to the boil, remove from heat, cool to room temperature and strain into a 7.5cm x 23cm metal cake pan and freeze overnight.
- 2For mango syrup, combine ingredients and 1 cup water in a saucepan over medium heat, stirring until sugar dissolves. Bring to the boil and cook for 10 minutes. Remove from heat, strain through a muslin-lined sieve into a bowl, discarding solids and cool completely. Makes about 2 cups.
- 3To serve, shave ice using a sharp knife, spoon into bowls and drizzle with syrup.
Note Liquid glucose is available from the baking section of supermarkets and health food stores.