Makes about 30 as an appetiser.
- 160 gm unsalted butter, coarsely chopped
- 150 gm plain flour (1 cup)
- 6 eggs
- 80 gm finely grated Gruyère (1 cup)
- 20 gm finely grated parmesan (¼ cup)
- ¼ tsp finely grated nutmeg
- 15 anchovy fillets, rinsed and halved lengthways
- 1½ tbsp thyme sprigs
- 1Preheat oven to 190C. Bring butter, 250ml water and ½ tsp sea salt to the boil in a saucepan, stirring over high heat until butter has melted. Reduce heat to medium, add flour and cook, stirring vigorously, until mixture pulls away from sides of pan (30-40 seconds). Cook for another minute, remove from heat and cool for 5 minutes. Add eggs, one at a time, beating well with a wooden spoon after each addition until mixture stiffens. Add cheeses and nutmeg, stirring to combine, and season generously with freshly ground black pepper.
- 2Spoon batter into a piping bag fitted with a 1cm-plain nozzle, pipe 4cm-mounds of batter onto baking paper-lined oven trays (leave a 2.5cm space between each). Bake for 20 minutes, then top with anchovy fillets and scatter thyme over remaining. Bake until puffed and golden (another 10 minutes). Serve warm.
Drink Suggestion: Vintage Champagne. Drink suggestion by Max Allen