These tasty little numbers can be prepared in advance but are best served warm.
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 350 gm minced lamb
- 120 gm long-grain rice
- 1 tbsp finely chopped mint
- 20 large vine leaves preserved in brine, rinsed, plus extra for lining pan
- 4 egg yolks
- 60 ml (¼ cup) lemon juice
- 250 ml (1 cup) chicken stock
- 1Heat olive oil in a frying pan over medium heat, add onion, sauté until tender (4-5 minutes). Add lamb, increase heat to high, sauté until browned (4-5 minutes). Add rice, mint and spices, sauté for 2 minutes, season to taste and set aside.
- 2Place vine leaves on a work surface, place a tablespoon of lamb mixture in the centre of each, fold in sides and roll firmly. Line the base of a large saucepan with extra vine leaves and tightly pack dolmades into saucepan in a single layer. Add enough cold water to just cover, then weight down with a heatproof plate. Bring to the boil, then simmer over low heat until rice is cooked (40-45 minutes). Transfer dolmades to a shallow dish, drizzle with olive oil and cool slightly.
- 3For avgolemono sauce, whisk egg yolks in a bowl until pale and frothy, whisk in lemon juice. Meanwhile, heat stock in a saucepan until simmering, then slowly whisk into egg mixture. Return mixture to saucepan and whisk over low heat until mixture coats the back of a spoon thickly (4-5 minutes). Season to taste.
- 4Serve lamb dolmades drizzled with avgolemono sauce.
Drink Suggestion: Sparkling red.