You'll need to begin this recipe a day ahead.
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 lamb shoulder, bone in (about 2kg)
- 1 red capsicum, finely chopped
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 1 celery stalk, finely chopped
- 6 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 2 fresh bay leaves
- 2 tbsp sweet paprika
- 1 tbsp smoked paprika
- 1 tbsp ground cumin
- 400 gm canned crushed tomatoes
- 500 ml dry sherry
- 250 gm dried chickpeas, soaked in cold water overnight
- 100 gm blanched almonds, roasted
- 1 garlic clove, coarsely chopped
- 1 tsp sweet paprika
- 1Preheat oven to 160C. Heat oil in a casserole over high heat. Add lamb shoulder and turn occasionally until browned (3-5 minutes), remove from casserole and set aside. Add capsicum, onion, celery, garlic, bay leaves and spices to casserole and stir occasionally over low heat until onion is very soft (20 minutes), then add tomato and cook until thick (20 minutes). Add lamb, pour over sherry and bake, covered, until lamb is just tender (2 hours). Add chickpeas and 500ml water and cook until chickpeas are tender and lamb is falling from the bone (2½ hours).
- 2Meanwhile, for picada, pound almonds, garlic and paprika in a mortar and pestle until a coarse paste forms. Serve lamb and chickpeas with picada spooned over.
Drink Suggestion: Gutsy Spanish tempranillo. Drink suggestion by Max Allen
The Latest from Gourmet Traveller
- DestinationsA year-round travel guide to Austria's western AlpsYesterday 12:00am