- 12 eggs, at room temperature
- 330 gm raw caster sugar (1½ cups)
- 2 lemons, finely grated rind only
- 370 gm plain flour, triple sifted (2½ cups)
- 120 gm butter, melted and cooled
- 2 tbsp thyme leaves
- 300 ml pouring cream, whipped to soft peaks
- For dusting: sugar
- 165 ml lemon juice
- 220 gm butter, coarsely chopped
- 165 gm caster sugar (¾ cup)
- 4 egg yolks
- 2 eggs
Lemon and thyme syrup
- 180 gm raw caster sugar
- 60 ml lemon juice (¼ cup)
- 2 lemons, zested rind only
- 8 thyme sprigs
- 50 ml limoncello
- 1For lemon butter, combine lemon juice and butter in a heavy-based saucepan and stir over low heat until butter melts. Whisk sugar, egg yolks and eggs in a bowl until combined, add to lemon juice mixture and stir continuously for 4-5 minutes or until mixture thickens slightly, transfer to a container and refrigerate until completely cold. Makes about 2 cups.
- 2For lemon and thyme syrup, combine sugar, lemon juice and ¾ cup water in a small saucepan and stir over medium-high heat until sugar dissolves, add lemon zest and bring to the boil. Reduce heat to medium, simmer for 15-20 minutes or until zest is translucent, add thyme and simmer for another 2 minutes. Remove from heat, add limoncello and stir to combine. Cool completely.
- 3Preheat oven to 160C. Using an electric mixer on high speed, whisk eggs, sugar and lemon rind for 7-8 minutes or until tripled in volume. Sift over flour, then fold through using a large metal spoon, add butter and thyme and fold through. Pour into a buttered and floured 28cm-diameter cake pan, filling to 3cm below rim (there may be mixture left over). Bake for 35-40 minutes or until golden and centre springs back when pressed gently with a fingertip. Cool for 5 minutes in pan, then transfer to a wire rack and cool completely.
- 4To serve, halve cake horizontally, spread base with cream and lemon butter and sandwich with top. Scatter top with white sugar, drizzle syrup over and serve.
Drink Suggestion: Grapey, sherbety Moscato. Drink suggestion by Max Allen