"You can't make this year-round because the rockmelon has to be really perfect. Don't forget to paint the inside of the rockmelon with the lime juice. It skews the flavour back into the savoury world, and the lime builds the relationship between the melon and the lobster. It's a delicious combination."
- 6 perfect small rockmelon (about 1kg each)
- 6 cooked rock lobster tails (about 250gm each), removed from shells, sliced into medallions
- 1 lime, juice only
Thousand Island dressing
- 250 ml (1 cup) good-quality mayonnaise
- 2 tsp tomato sauce
- 1½ tsp HP sauce
- 1 tbsp lightly whipped pouring cream
- 1For Thousand Island dressing, combine ingredients, season to taste and set aside.
- 2Trim ends of rockmelons so they sit flat. Score around the middle of each with a paring knife, then, following the marks, cut deep zig-zag incisions so that when the halves are separated they have perfectly crimped edges. Scoop out seeds (discard), brush inside each rockmelon half with lime juice and refrigerate until very well chilled (1-1½ hours). Divide lobster medallions among rockmelon halves, garnish with a dollop of Thousand Island dressing and serve.
The Latest from Gourmet Traveller
- Fast RecipesCitrus-cured salmon with horseradish cream and bagelsYesterday 11:00pm
- Fast RecipesChar-grilled capsicum salad with sherry vinaigretteYesterday 11:00pm