Mangoes grow prolifically in South-East Asia and you’ll find versions of this street snack served wherever you go. Small, firm, under-ripe mangoes are typically used for this dish, their sweet-sour flavour accentuated by the sweet-salty condiment. This snack is perfect with a glass of mango cordial.
- 3 small dried red chillies
- 15 gm white sugar
- 15 gm sea salt
- 1 lime, finely grated rind only
- To serve: lime wedges
- 2 firm, slightly under-ripe mangoes, cheeks removed and cut into wedges
- 1Dry roast chillies in a frying pan over medium-high heat for 1-2 minutes or until slightly blackened, then transfer to a mortar. Add sugar and, using a pestle, pound until coarsely ground. Stir through salt and rind.
- 2To serve, squeeze lime juice over mango, then dip in chilli salt and eat immediately.