- 100 gm walnut halves
- 30 gm pure icing sugar, sieved
- 80 ml walnut or other nut liqueur (1/3 cup)
- 3 eggs
- 185 ml milk (¾ cup)
- 150 gm crème fraîche, plus extra to serve
- 100 ml pouring cream
- 80 ml maple syrup (1/3 cup)
- 1 loaf of unsliced walnut bread, crusts removed (about 600gm)
- For spreading: butter
- 2 bananas, thinly sliced diagonally
- 1Preheat oven to 180C. Combine walnuts, icing sugar and 20ml liqueur in a bowl. Scatter in a layer over a baking paper-lined oven tray, then bake until golden (about 15 minutes). Cool and break into pieces.
- 2Meanwhile, whisk together eggs, milk, crème fraîche, cream, maple syrup and remaining liqueur to combine.
- 3Thinly slice bread and toast lightly under a hot grill. Halve diagonally, butter both sides, then trim to fit an 8cm x 23cm deep-sided rectangular cake pan. Place toasts in cake pan vertically, interleaving with banana slices. Pour over egg mixture and stand until absorbed (about 15 minutes). Scatter over half the candied walnuts and bake until golden and firm (about 45 minutes). Stand for 10 minutes then serve with crème fraîche and remaining candied walnuts.