Nothing says Australian summer quite like a fresh fruit salad. Something so simple can become a thing of beauty with the abundance and variety of gorgeous ripe fruit on hand during the warmer months – think berries, grapes, melons, stone fruit, to name just a few. But that’s not to say winter doesn’t provide the goods, with all varieties of citrus including tangelos and blood oranges plus, of course, crisp apples and juicy pears.
- 175 gm blue gum honey (½ cup)
- 2 tbsp finely chopped glacé ginger
- 1 vanilla bean, split
- 500 gm watermelon
- 500 gm rockmelon
- 500 gm honeydew melon
- To serve: vanilla ice-cream
- 1Combine honey, ginger and vanilla bean and ½ cup water in a small saucepan and simmer over low heat for 8 minutes or until reduced by half. Cool to room temperature.
- 2Peel melons and remove seeds, then cut into 3cm cubes. Combine melon and syrup and stand for 30 minutes to marinate. Serve melon salad with scoops of vanilla ice-cream.
For a peach and passionfruit salad, combine wedges of white and yellow peach in a bowl with passionfruit pulp and some baby coriander and serve with Greek-style yoghurt.
For a tropical fruit salad, peel and remove seeds from lychees and combine in a bowl with mango, guava and banana. Combine coconut milk and grated palm sugar in a saucepan and stir over low heat until sugar is dissolved. Cool, then drizzle over fruit salad and serve scattered with toasted shredded coconut.