- 1 kg piece of boneless female pork belly, cut into 2cm pieces
- 125 gm honey
- 2 lemons, juice only
- 2 tsp crushed fennel seeds
- 12 vine leaves in brine, drained, halved
- 500 gm sheep’s milk yoghurt
- 1/3 cup finely chopped dill
- 55 gm (1/3 cup) finely chopped walnuts
- 1 tbsp finely chopped mint
- 1 tbsp lemon juice
- 1 garlic clove, finely chopped
- 400 gm each finely minced lean beef and lean lamb
- 75 gm fine fresh breadcrumbs
- ½ cup finely chopped mint
- 3 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 2 tbsp dried oregano
- 1 tsp each ground cumin and ground coriander
- Large pinch chilli powder
- 2 tbsp caramelised red wine vinegar (see note)
- 2 tbsp extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 tbsp honey
- 2 Lebanese cucumber, peeled
- ¼ cup each (firmly packed) chervil, dill and flat-leaf parsley, finely chopped
- 1For lemon, honey and fennel pork skewers, combine pork, honey, lemon juice and fennel seeds in a non-reactive dish. Season liberally with freshly ground black pepper and toss to combine. Cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate overnight.
- 2Meanwhile, for haydari, place yoghurt in a fine sieve over a bowl. Cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate overnight to drain. Discard drained liquid and transfer yoghurt to a bowl. Add remaining ingredients, season to taste and refrigerate until required.
- 3Drain pork and thread 3 pieces onto a skewer, separating each with a folded piece of vine leaf. Refrigerate until required. Makes about 12 skewers.
- 4For köfte, combine ingredients in a bowl. Fry a small amount of mixture in a small non-stick pan to check for seasoning, then season mix to taste and roll mixture into golf-sized balls. Makes about 26.
- 5Preheat a barbecue or char-grill pan over medium-high heat. Cook skewered pork and köfte, turning occasionally until cooked through (15 minutes).
- 6For cucumber salad, combine ingredients in a bowl and toss until honey dissolves. Serve with köfte, pork skewers and haydari.
Note Caramelised red wine vinegar is available from select delicatessens. If unavailable, substitute with a good-quality cabernet sauvignon vinegar.
Drink Suggestion: Assyrtiko, a crisp Greek white, or a crisp, dry Hunter semillon. Drink suggestion by Max Allen