- 75 gm hazelnuts
- 100 gm butter, coarsely chopped
- 4 river trout fillets (about 160gm each)
- 200 gm softened butter, coarsely chopped
- 80 gm sorrel, trimmed (see note)
- 2 golden shallots, finely chopped
- 1 tbsp red wine vinegar
- 1Preheat oven to 180C. Place hazelnuts on a baking tray and roast until golden (5-6 minutes). Rub with a tea towel to remove skins, coarsely chop and set aside.
- 2For sorrel butter, combine ingredients in a food processor and pulse until well combined and sorrel is finely chopped. Season to taste and set aside.
- 3Heat butter in a large frying pan over high heat. Add trout fillets, flesh-side down, and cook, turning once, until golden and skin is crisp (5-6 minutes). Season to taste and serve warm, scattered with hazelnuts, with a dollop of sorrel butter.
Note Sorrel is a leafy green vegetable similar in appearance to spinach, but with a sharp acidic lemon flavour. It's available from specialist greengrocers.
Drink Suggestion: Toasty, oaky chardonnay. Drink suggestion by Max Allen