A good glug of sherry adds a kick to this fresh-flavoured soup, while smoky chorizo and crunchy croûtons take it to a whole other level. Serve the soup as soon as it's ready to keep the bright green colour alive.
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 1 litre (4 cups) chicken stock
- 50 ml sherry, such as amontillado
- 1 kg frozen peas, defrosted
- ¼ cup (firmly packed) mint
- 25 ml sherry vinegar, or to taste
Chorizo oil and croûtons
- 90 ml olive oil
- 1 chorizo, diced
- 1 garlic clove, thinly sliced
- 50 gm coarsely torn crustless sourdough bread
- 1For chorizo oil and croûtons, heat olive oil in a large frying pan over medium-high heat, add chorizo and garlic and sauté until chorizo is golden (2-3 minutes), then transfer to a bowl with a slotted spoon. Add torn bread to pan and sauté until golden and crisp (4-5 minutes), season to taste, then return chorizo to pan, stir to combine and keep warm.
- 2Meanwhile, heat olive oil in a large saucepan over medium-high heat, add onion and garlic and sauté until tender (4-5 minutes). Add chicken stock and sherry, bring to the boil and simmer for 10 minutes. Add peas, simmer until just tender (2-3 minutes), remove from heat, then add mint and process with a hand-held blender until smooth. Add vinegar, season to taste and divide among shallow bowls. Spoon over chorizo oil and croûtons, and serve hot.
Drink Suggestion: Nutty amontillado sherry. Drink suggestion by Max Allen
The Latest from Gourmet Traveller
- Food NewsFarmer is a new cookbook raising funds for the droughtYesterday 12:00am