This golden jelly is beautiful with your Christmas ham or leftover turkey.
- 1 kg peaches, halved, stones removed, coarsely chopped
- 750 ml (3 cups) verjuice
- 2 green apples (such as Granny Smith), coarsely chopped
- 80 ml (1/3 cup) lemon juice, seeds reserved
- 550 gm (2½ cups) white sugar
- 1Combine peach, verjuice, apple, lemon juice and seeds and 1 litre water in a large saucepan and simmer, stirring occasionally, over medium-low heat for 1 hour. Strain through a sieve double-lined with muslin into a large bowl to yield 1 litre (discard pulp). Transfer to a large saucepan, add sugar, stir over low heat until sugar dissolves. Increase heat to medium and simmer until jelly reaches setting point (45 minutes-1 hour). To test jelly, place a spoonful on a chilled saucer and leave to cool. Push jelly with fingertip, if it wrinkles it’s ready. Skim scum from surface and ladle into sterilised jars. Add a thyme sprig to each jar, seal and invert for 2 minutes, then turn upright and set aside to cool completely. Jelly will keep refrigerated for up to 3 months.
Note This recipe makes about 1 litre.
The Latest from Gourmet Traveller
- DestinationsMade in India: the designers and makers of BengaluruYesterday 4:59am