- 1 bunch Dutch carrots, trimmed, scrubbed, large ones halved
- 2 Spanish onions, cut into wedges
- 120 ml olive oil
- 1 dry-aged beef rib (about 2.4kg)
- 2 tsp each white and black peppercorns
- 2 tsp finely grated fresh horseradish
- 2 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 2 bunches baby beetroot, trimmed, halved, leaves washed and reserved
- 1Preheat oven to 180C. Place carrot and onion in a roasting pan, drizzle with 20ml olive oil, season to taste, toss to combine. Place beef, bone-side down, on top, set aside.
- 2Dry-roast peppercorns (1-2 minutes), cool slightly, then pound in a mortar and pestle with horseradish, half the garlic and 1 tsp sea salt until a smooth paste forms. Stir in 40ml oil, spread over boneless side of rib, roast until medium-rare (1 hour 36 minutes, see note) or until cooked to your liking. Remove rib from oven, cover with foil, set aside to rest in a warm place.
- 3Meanwhile, place beetroot in a roasting pan, drizzle with 30ml olive oil, season to taste and roast during last 30 minutes of cooking beef, until beetroot are tender.
- 4Just before serving, heat remaining olive oil in a large frying pan, add remaining garlic, stir occasionally until fragrant (1-2 minutes), add beetroot greens and sauté until just wilted (2-3 minutes), then serve immediately with beef, pan juices and roast vegetables.
Note Cooking meat on the bone takes about 40 minutes per kilo at 180C for medium-rare. If your beef is larger than 2.4kg, adjust cooking time accordingly.
Drink Suggestion: Classic Coonawarra cabernet. Drink suggestion by Max Allen
The Latest from Gourmet Traveller
- DestinationsMade in India: the designers and makers of BengaluruYesterday 4:59am