Fresh pineapple juice with lime and Assam-tea syrup makes for a super-refreshing summer drink, and once happy hour hits, a dash of rum is a welcome addition. If juicing the pineapple isn't an option, blend and strain it instead, or substitute bottled juice.
- 1 litre pineapple juice (from about 2 pineapples)
- Juice of 2 limes
- Pineapple and lime slices, to serve
- 50 gm rapadura sugar (see note)
- 50 gm caster sugar
- 1 tbsp loose-leaf Assam tea
- 1For Assam-tea syrup, combine sugars and tea leaves in a heatproof bowl with 175ml boiling water. Stir to dissolve sugars and leave to cool. Strain into a large jug (discard tea leaves) and refrigerate to chill (4-5 hours).
- 2Add juices to syrup and stir to combine. Pour into glasses over plenty of ice and serve garnished with pineapple and lime slices.
Rapadura sugar is available from select supermarkets and health-food shops.