- 1 ruby grapefruit
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 3 bulbs of fennel, cut into wedges
- 70 ml extra-virgin olive oil
- 3 cloves of garlic, thinly sliced
- 30 ml sherry vinegar
- 1 cup coarsely torn mint leaves
- 1Remove rind from half a grapefruit using a zester and set aside. Remove remaining rind and pith using a knife and discard. Segment grapefruit over a bowl, reserving 2 tbsp juice.
- 2Preheat oven to 180C. Heat oil in a frying pan, add fennel and cook over medium heat for 5 minutes each side or until golden, then roast for 10 minutes or until just tender and transfer to a serving platter.
- 3Add extra-virgin olive oil to pan over medium-high heat, add garlic and zest and cook for 2-3 minutes or until garlic is just brown. Remove from heat, add grapefruit juice and segments and vinegar and swirl to combine. Season to taste with sea salt and ground black pepper, drizzle over fennel, scatter with mint and serve warm or at room temperature.
Drink Suggestion: Heady, aromatic viognier. Drink suggestion by Max Allen