The best thing about eating pork is the crackly skin and adding it to a salad is simply heaven.
- For deep-frying: vegetable oil
- 600 gm kipfler potatoes
- 9 baby beetroot (about 1½ bunches)
- 1 radicchio, outer leaves removed
- 1 frisée
- 600 gm piece of boneless pork belly, cut into 3cm pieces
- 3 thyme sprigs
- 2 fresh bay leaves
- 8 black peppercorns
Mustard and chive dressing
- 1 tbsp Dijon mustard
- 1 tbsp red wine vinegar
- 60 ml (¼ cup) olive oil
- 1 tsp brown sugar
- 2 tbsp finely chopped chives
- 1For pork rillettes, preheat oven to 150C. Combine ingredients in a casserole and bake, covered, until meat falls apart easily (3 hours). Remove pork from casserole, cut away skin with a knife and reserve. Shred meat with two forks, place in a bowl, season to taste, strain pan juices over meat, then cool, cover and refrigerate until set.
- 2Slice reserved pork skin into strips, place on an oven tray and roast until remaining fat has rendered from skin (40-50 minutes). Heat vegetable oil in a deep-fryer or deep saucepan to 180C. Add pork skin and fry until crisp (1-2 minutes). Drain on absorbent paper.
- 3Place potato in a saucepan, cover with cold, salted water. Bring to the simmer over medium heat, cook until tender (10-12 minutes). Drain, cool to room temperature.
- 4Meanwhile, place beetroot in a separate saucepan, cover with cold, salted water. Bring to the simmer over medium heat, cook until tender (15-20 minutes). Drain, peel, halve lengthways, cool to room temperature.
- 5For mustard and chive dressing, whisk mustard and vinegar in a bowl, then whisk in olive oil and brown sugar. Season to taste and stir in chives.
- 6Combine radicchio, frisée, potato, rillettes, beetroot and pork skin in a large bowl. Toss gently to combine, then divide among plates, drizzle with mustard and chive dressing and serve immediately.