- 4 skate wings (about 180gm each, see note)
- 100 gm butter, coarsely chopped
- 65 gm (1/3 cup) capers, rinsed and drained
- ¼ cup thyme sprigs
- 60 ml (¼ cup) lemon juice
- 1 lemon, peeled and segmented
Lemon salt-baked potatoes
- 2 lemons, finely grated rind only
- 125 gm (1 cup) sea salt flakes
- 1 kg Nicola or other small cocktail potatoes
- 1For lemon salt-baked potatoes, preheat oven to 200C. Combine lemon rind and salt in a bowl. Scatter half the mixture over the base of a baking dish large enough to fit potatoes snugly in a single layer. Spread potatoes evenly over salt, cover with remaining salt and bake until golden and tender (20-30 minutes). Brush off excess salt and keep warm.
- 2Meanwhile, season skate wings to taste and set aside. Heat butter in a large non-stick frying pan over high heat until foamy and starting to colour. Add skate wings, capers and thyme and cook until just cooked through (1-2 minutes on each side). Transfer to serving plates, add lemon juice and segments to butter, stir to combine (1 minute), then drizzle over skate. Serve immediately with salt-baked potatoes and green beans to the side.
Skate wings may need to be ordered in advance from your fishmonger.