- 80 ml white wine vinegar (1/3 cup)
- 80 ml white wine (1/3 cup)
- 1 tbsp white sugar
- 1 bulb fennel, shaved lengthways using a mandolin
- 2 tbsp lemon juice
- 80 ml extra-virgin olive oil (1/3 cup)
- 2 baby cos lettuces
- 2 Lebanese cucumbers, shaved lengthways using a mandolin
- 1Combine vinegar, wine, sugar and 1/3 cup water in a saucepan, season to taste, then bring to the boil over medium-high heat. Add fennel and simmer for 2 minutes, remove from heat and stir to combine. Stand for 5 minutes, then, using a slotted spoon, transfer fennel to a bowl. Return pan to heat, simmer for 5 minutes or until liquid is reduced to 1/3 cup, remove from heat, whisk in lemon juice and oil and season to taste. Cool completely.
- 2Remove outer leaves from lettuce and discard, then separate remaining leaves, keeping hearts intact. Quarter hearts, place in a large bowl with leaves, cucumber and fennel, drizzle with dressing and toss to combine.
The Latest from Gourmet Traveller
- Fast RecipesCasarecce with pork sausage, cavolo nero and chilliYesterday 6:00am