- 60 ml extra-virgin olive oil (¼ cup)
- 30 gm butter
- 1 small Spanish onion, finely chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, thinly sliced
- 2 tsp dried chilli flakes
- 20 gm bottarga, finely grated, plus extra to serve (see note)
- 400 gm dried spaghettini
- To serve: lemon wedges
- 1Heat oil and butter in a frying pan over medium-high heat, add onion, garlic and chilli and cook for 5 minutes or until tender.
- 2Cook pasta in boiling salted water until al dente, drain, reserving 2 tbsp cooking water and return pasta to pan. Add onion mixture and bottarga, season to taste with freshly ground black pepper and toss to combine. Serve immediately with bottarga scattered over and wedges of lemon passed separately.
Note Bottarga is salted and dried fish roe - generally grey mullet. It's available from David Jones Foodhalls, select fishmongers and delicatessens.