- 2 tbsp vegetable oil
- 100 gm popping corn
- 310 gm caster sugar
- 120 ml maple syrup
- 90 gm salted butter, coarsely chopped
- ½ tsp sweet paprika
- ½ tsp ground cinnamon
- 1 tsp caster sugar
- 1Heat oil in a large frying pan over medium-high heat. Test oil temperature by dropping a couple of corn kernels into oil; if the kernels spin, the oil is hot enough. Add corn, cover with a tight-fitting lid and cook, shaking pan occasionally as corn starts to pop, until all corn is popped (4-5 minutes), then tip onto a metal tray and set aside (discard any unpopped corn).
- 2For spiced salt, dry-roast spices until fragrant (30 seconds), combine in a bowl with sugar and 3 tsp sea salt flakes and set aside.
- 3Stir sugar and 60ml water in a large saucepan over medium-high heat until sugar dissolves, then bring to the boil. Add maple syrup and cook until dark caramel (5-6 minutes). Remove from heat, add butter and stir until combined. Add popcorn, stir with a lightly oiled spoon to coat, spread on a tray lined with lightly buttered baking paper and stand until cooled. Break into clusters and serve scattered with spiced salt.
This recipe is from the September 2012 issue of .
The Latest from Gourmet Traveller
- Fast RecipesCitrus-cured salmon with horseradish cream and bagelsYesterday 11:00pm
- Fast RecipesChar-grilled capsicum salad with sherry vinaigretteYesterday 11:00pm