- 1.2 kg (about 300gm each) green blue swimmer crabs
- 3 cloves of garlic, unpeeled
- 2 vine-ripened tomatoes
- ½ small onion, finely chopped
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 2 canned chipotle chillies, seeds removed, coarsely chopped (see note)
- 2 tbsp finely chopped coriander leaves
- To serve: lime wedges
- 1Bring 2 litres of well-salted water to the boil in a large saucepan, add crab, bring back to the boil and cook for 5 minutes. Remove crabs, reserving liquid.
- 2Clean crabs, remove and reserve meat, return shells to pan, cover and simmer for 30 minutes. Strain and reserve liquid, discarding shells.
- 3Preheat oven to 180C. Combine garlic and tomatoes in a small roasting pan and roast for 10 minutes or until soft. When cool enough to handle, peel and process with onion in a food processor until smooth. Set aside.
- 4Heat oil in a large saucepan over medium heat, add tomato mixture and cook, stirring continuously, for 5 minutes or until thickened slightly. Add reserved liquid, cover and simmer gently for 40 minutes. Stir in chilli and simmer for another 10 minutes. Season to taste with sea salt and pepper, stir in crab meat and cook until warmed through. Stir in coriander and serve with lime wedges.
Canned chipotle chillies are available from Mexican food stores such as Monterey Mexican Foods. Substitute dried chipotle chillies, available from
, by reconstituting in boiling water.
The Latest from Gourmet Traveller
- DestinationsThe best places to visit in Queenstown, New ZealandYesterday 2:30am