- 1 litre chicken stock (4 cups)
- 1 kg skinless chicken thigh fillets, coarsely chopped
- 3 dried shiitake mushrooms, soaked in 250ml hot water for 20 minutes
- 2 thick slices ginger
- 2 tbsp dried longan (see note)
- 2 tbsp goji berries
- ½ cup dried Chinese dates (see note)
- 3 pieces poor man’s ginseng (see note)
- 4 pieces astragalus huang qi (see note)
- 1 tbsp light soy sauce
- 1 tbsp Shaoxing wine
- 1Simmer chicken stock in a large saucepan over medium heat until reduced to 750ml (10-20 minutes).
- 2Drain shiitake (reserve soaking liquid) and remove stems (discard). Combine all ingredients in a Yunnan pot (see note above) or large bowl that will fit nicely over a saucepan. Cover with a lid or with foil, place over a saucepan half-filled with water and bring to the boil over medium-high heat. Steam until very fragrant (2 hours), topping up saucepan with boiling water as needed. Serve hot.
Note Dried longan, dried Chinese dates (jujubes), poor man's ginseng (Codonopsis pilosula) and astragalus huang qi (Astralagus propinquus) are available from Chinese grocers, sometimes in the form of a packet of tonic soup mix. The cooking time may vary depending on the flow of steam and the age of your chicken.
Drink Suggestion: Nutty medium-dry amontillado Sherry. Drink suggestion by Max Allen