"Last year, I discovered the best scone recipe after volunteering to bake some at a fundraiser," says Yu-Ching Lee. "Turns out the secret is to make it for others, in the company of friends and serve with lots of laughter. And never skimp on the jam and cream."
- 200 gm (1⅓ cups) plain flour, plus extra for dusting
- 100 gm (⅔ cup) buckwheat flour
- 3½ tsp baking powder
- ¼ tsp bicarbonate of soda
- 20 gm brown sugar
- 10 gm freeze-dried strawberries (see note)
- 140 ml (½ cup) milk kefir (see note)
- 180 ml pouring cream
- Pure icing sugar, for dusting
- 375 gm strawberries, hulled, quartered
- 185 gm caster sugar
- ½ small lemon
- 80 ml milk kefir (see note)
- 200 ml thickened cream
- 20 gm pure icing sugar, sifted
- 1For strawberry jam, place strawberries and sugar in a saucepan. Squeeze lemon juice into pan, add squeezed lemon half and stand to macerate (30 minutes). Place saucepan over medium-high heat and bring to the boil, stirring continuously, then reduce heat to medium and simmer, stirring often and skimming scum from surface, until reduced to jam consistency (20-25 minutes; see cook's notes, p168). Remove lemon half and set jam aside to cool to room temperature, then refrigerate until ready to serve.
- 2Preheat oven to 220°C and dust an oven tray with flour. Whisk dry ingredients and freeze-dried strawberries in a bowl to combine. Add kefir and cream and fold to form a dough. Pat into a 2cm-thick rectangle, transfer to tray, cover and chill for 30 minutes to allow dough to stabilise. Cut out rounds with a floured 6cm round cutter. Return scones to tray, leaving 1cm between each, and bake until golden (10-14 minutes).
- 3Meanwhile, for kefir cream, place ingredients in an electric mixer and whisk to soft peaks. Serve with warm scones and jam. Scones are best eaten the same day.
Freeze-dried strawberries are available from select supermarkets, delicatessens or fresh-as.com. Milk kefir is available from health-food shops and select supermarkets.
The Latest from Gourmet Traveller
- Food NewsThe must-have Italian pantry staples for your kitchenYesterday 5:00am