This simple dish, bursting with summer flavours, can be served hot or at room temperature. A crisp green salad makes a fine addition.
- 6 chicken Marylands, jointed
- ¾ tsp dried chilli flakes
- 100 ml olive oil
- 1 Spanish onion, cut into thin wedges
- 4 oxheart tomatoes, thickly sliced
- 450 gm mixed cherry tomatoes
- ¼ cup (firmly packed) each basil and oregano, plus extra to serve
- 2 tbsp thyme leaves
- 125 ml dry white wine
- 1 head of garlic, halved horizontally
- 6 medium slices round pancetta
- 120 gm large green olives
- 1Preheat oven to 180C. Combine chicken in a bowl with chilli flakes, 2 tbsp olive oil, 1 tsp sea salt and ½ tsp freshly ground black pepper and stir to combine well, then set aside.
- 2Heat 2 tbsp olive oil over medium-high heat in a shallow casserole large enough to hold chicken pieces in a single layer, add onion and cook, stirring occasionally, until browned (4-5 minutes). Remove from heat, add half the oxheart tomatoes and half the cherry tomatoes, spreading over onion, then place chicken pieces on top. Scatter with remaining tomatoes, basil, oregano and thyme and season to taste. Drizzle with wine and remaining olive oil, tuck in garlic, season to taste and roast uncovered until chicken browns and tomato is pulpy (1¼-1½ hours).
- 3Place pancetta on top of chicken and roast until crisp (2-3 minutes), then coarsely crumble pancetta and stir into chicken mixture along with olives. Serve hot or at room temperature, scattered with extra herbs.
This recipe is from the March 2013 issue of .
Drink Suggestion: Snappy, savoury young sangiovese. Drink suggestion by Max Allen