- 1½ tbsp olive oil
- 1 onion, thinly sliced
- 1 long red chilli, thinly sliced
- 2 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 250 gm cherry tomatoes, halved
- 1.5 kg vongole, soaked in cold water for 20 minutes to remove grit, drained
- 180 ml dry white wine
- 150 gm day-old ciabatta or sourdough bread, coarsely torn
- 3 small very ripe Roma tomatoes, diced
- 50 ml olive oil
- 1 garlic clove, finely chopped
- 1For tomato crumbs, preheat oven to 160C. Combine bread and tomato in a bowl and mix well with your hands, squeezing tomato into bread as you go. Combine oil and garlic in a small bowl, pour over bread mixture, season to taste and mix well with your hands to combine. Stand for bread to soak (30 minutes), then spread on a baking tray lined with baking paper and bake, stirring occasionally, until golden and crisp (50 minutes-1 hour). Cool, coarsely crumble and set aside.
- 2Heat oil in a large saucepan over medium-high heat, add onion, chilli and garlic and stir occasionally until tender (4-5 minutes). Add tomato and stir occasionally until beginning to break down (3-4 minutes), then add vongole and wine, season to taste, cover with a lid and cook, shaking pan occasionally, until vongole open. Serve hot, scattered with tomato crumbs.
This recipe is from the March 2013 issue of .
Drink Suggestion: Aromatic fiano. Drink suggestion by Max Allen