- 2 cloves garlic
- 1 Spanish onion, thinly sliced
- 2 tbsp sherry vinegar
- 1 tbsp lemon juice
- 60 ml extra-virgin olive oil (¼ cup)
- 4 thick slices of sourdough bread
- For brushing: olive oil
- 1 very ripe tomato, halved
- 450 gm small tomatoes, such as truss, grape or cherry, coarsely crushed
- 1 cup each flat-leaf parsley leaves and mint leaves (loosely packed)
- 8 thin slices jamón, coarsely torn
- 100 gm small black olives, coarsely crushed
- ¼ tsp saffron threads, soaked in 1 tsp warm water
- 1Thinly slice half the garlic and combine in a bowl with onion, vinegar and lemon juice and mix to combine. Season to taste with sea salt and freshly ground black pepper and stand for 15 minutes or until onion is soft.
- 2Brush a little olive oil over both sides of bread and chargrill for 1-2 minutes on each side, then rub both sides with remaining garlic clove and with cut-side of halved tomato (discard garlic and tomato).
Coarsely tear bread and place in a large bowl with onions and soaking liquid, crushed tomatoes and juices, herbs, jamón and olives.
- 3Combine saffron and soaking liquid and remaining olive oil in a small bowl and whisk to combine, then season to taste. Drizzle over bread mixture, toss gently to combine and serve immediately.
Drink Suggestion: Grenache ‘rosado’ (pink wine). Drink suggestion by Max Allen