Where to buy truffles
You can buy Australian truffles direct from the producers - ask for Al Blakers, of Manjimup Truffles, at the Five Acre Nursery, (08 9771 2258), or get in touch with fellow West Australians The Wine & Truffle Company (www.wineandtruffle.com.au), or Duncan Garvey at Tasmania's Perigord truffles (www.perigord.com.au). Otherwise Simon Johnson stores around the country have WA truffles in stock, as does Brisbane's Black Pearl Epicure, and other smaller premium retailers. If the idea of entering into a truffle co-op appeals but you can't find like-minded fellows, ask suppliers and delis; some - such as Sydney's Black Bull Butchery, in Potts Point - organise their own co-ops, and sell to their customers by the gram.
Where to buy truffles
- 400 gm arborio rice (2 cups)
- 100 gm finely grated parmesan (2/3 cup)
- 6 eggs, lightly beaten
- 75 gm plain flour, seasoned (½ cup)
- 100 gm fine dried breadcrumbs (1 cup)
- 100 gm Gorgonzola Dolcelatte, coarsley chopped (see note)
- 15 gm fresh black truffle, finely chopped
- 1Cook rice in a large saucepan of boiling, salted water for 15 minutes or until tender, drain well, place in a large bowl and cool. Add parmesan, two-thirds of the egg, season generously with sea salt and freshly ground black pepper and stir to combine. Spread rice mixture on tray and refrigerate until cold.
- 2For truffle Dolcelatte filling, place ingredients in a bowl, stir to combine, cover and refrigerate until needed.
- 3To make arancini, place 1 tbsp of rice mixture in palm of hand and flatten with a spoon. Place ½ tsp of truffle Dolcelatte filling in centre of rice and gently form rice mixture around filling to create a ball. Transfer arancini to a large plate. Repeat with remaining rice mixture and filling. Makes about 24 arancini.
- 4Place flour, remaining egg and breadcrumbs each in separate bowls. Roll each arancini gently in flour, dip in egg, roll in breadcrumbs and place on a tray. Refrigerate until needed. Heat vegetable oil in a deep saucepan or deep-fryer to 180C. Deep-fry arancini in batches for 3-5 minutes or until crisp and golden brown. Drain on absorbent paper and serve immediately.
Note Gorgonzola Dolcelatte, meaning 'sweet milk', has a soft, creamy texture and is less pungent than aged Gorgonzola. It's available from David Jones Foodhalls and select delicatessens.
Drink Suggestion: Nebbiolo rosé. Drink suggestion by Max Allen