Cut and chill the watermelon before assembling this summer salad for a crisper, tastier result on a hot day.
- 4 thick slices crusty white bread
- 100 ml olive oil
- 8 thick slices haloumi (about 250gm)
- For dusting: seasoned plain flour
- ½ small Spanish onion, thinly sliced
- 800 gm seedless watermelon, pieces cut with an apple-corer
- 100 ml extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 tbsp red wine vinegar
- To serve: basil and mint leaves, sliced
- 1Preheat a char-grill over high heat. Brush bread with oil, grill until charred and golden, turning once (1-2 minutes each side). Set aside.
- 2Heat remaining oil in a large non-stick frying pan over high heat. Dust haloumi in flour, fry in batches until golden, turning once (2-3 minutes each side). Set aside.
- 3Meanwhile, tear grilled bread into bite-sized pieces, place in a bowl with remaining ingredients, toss gently, season to taste, scatter with basil and mint leaves, serve with haloumi.
The Latest from Gourmet Traveller
- Food NewsFarmer is a new cookbook raising funds for the droughtYesterday 12:00am