“What better way on a hot summer’s day to finish a big Christmas lunch than with a huge bowl of summer berries and a lovely refreshing sorbet.” - Hamish Ingham, Bar H, Sydney
- 500 gm strawberries (about 2 punnets)
- 250 gm raspberries (about 2 punnets)
- 250 gm blueberries (about 2 punnets)
- 80 ml Averna amaro (see note)
- 300 gm caster sugar
- 500 gm mascarpone
- Juice of 2 lemons
- 150 gm butter, softened
- 35 gm caster sugar, plus extra for dusting
- 2 egg yolks
- 150 gm plain flour (1 cup)
- 1 tbsp five-spice powder
- 150 gm almond meal
- 1For mascarpone and shiso sorbet, bring sugar, shiso and 200ml water to the boil in a saucepan, stir to dissolve sugar, remove from heat and cool to room temperature. Strain through a fine sieve into a jug (discard shiso). Whisk mascarpone in a bowl, then gradually add syrup, whisking continuously until smooth. Add lemon juice, stir to just combine, then freeze in an ice-cream machine, being careful not to over-churn as this will result in a grainy texture. Freeze until firm (2-3 hours or until required). Makes about 1 litre.
- 2For five-spice shortbread, preheat oven to 180C. Beat butter and sugar in an electric mixer until light and fluffy, add yolks one at a time and beat until combined. Sift in flour and five-spice, add almond meal and mix
with your hands until mixture comes together. Roll heaped tablespoons of dough into balls about 3cm in diameter, then shape into crescents. Place on oven trays lined with baking paper and bake, swapping trays halfway through cooking time, until golden(15-20 minutes). While warm, dust heavily with caster sugar and set aside to cool. Shortbread will keep in an airtight container for a week.
- 3To serve, halve strawberries and combine in a bowl with raspberries, blueberries and Averna amaro. Divide among serving dishes, top with mascarpone and shiso sorbet and serve with five-spice shortbread.
Averna amaro is a bitter Italian liqueur available from select liquor shops. If it’s unavailable, substitute another amaro.
This recipe is from the December 2011 issue of
Drink Suggestion: A medium-sweet dessert wine with a dry finish, such as 2006 Ökonomierat Rebholz Albersweiler Latt Gewürztraminer, Pfalz, Germany. Drink suggestion by Charles Leong
The Latest from Gourmet Traveller
- Travel NewsNew art collections and shows worth travelling forYesterday 5:58am
- Food NewsGourmet Traveller taste tests McDonald’s Wagyu Beef BurgerYesterday 12:35am