"We started doing this salad in winter when tomatoes weren't good," says Jonathan Barthelmess of Greca, "but we liked it so much we kept it on the menu."
- 400 gm canned butter beans, drained
- 200 ml chicken stock
- 50 ml extra-virgin olive oil, plus extra to serve
- 2 celery stalks, peeled and thinly sliced, plus pale leaves to serve
- 1 tbsp coarsely chopped mint
- 1 tbsp coarsely chopped flat-leaf parsley
- 1Combine beans, stock and oil in a saucepan and bring to the boil. Reduce heat to medium and simmer until beans are softened and stock has reduced by two-thirds (15-20 minutes). Remove from heat, stir in sliced celery, and cool to room temperature (10-15 minutes).
- 2Toss bean mixture with herbs and celery leaves in a bowl, season to taste and serve drizzled with olive oil.
Drink suggestion: 2016 Gentilini Robola from Kefalonia. Drink suggestion by Sam Christie.