- 20 gm butter
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 Spanish onion, finely chopped
- 1 garlic clove, finely chopped
- 230 gm radicchio (about 4 heads), thinly sliced
- 1 long red chilli, seeds removed, finely chopped
- 100 gm uncooked crabmeat
- 600 gm dried Venetian bigoli (see note)
- ¼ cup coarsely chopped flat-leaf parsley
- 1Heat butter and oil in a saucepan over low heat. Add onion and garlic and sauté until tender (4 minutes). Increase heat to medium, add radicchio and chilli and sauté, tossing to cook evenly, until wilted (5 minutes). Partially cover pan and continue to cook, tossing frequently and replacing lid, until tender (5-10 minutes). Toss through crab, cover and set aside
- 2Meanwhile, cook pasta in a large saucepan of boiling salted water until al dente (2-3 minutes). Drain, reserving 60ml pasta water, then return pasta and reserved water to pan with radicchio mixture, toss well, season to taste and serve hot.
Dried Venetian bigoli is made from semolina or wholemeal flour and butter as well as eggs. If unavailable, substitute another long pasta.
This recipe is from the March 2011 issue of
Drink Suggestion: A fresh, vibrant unoaked Soave Classico Drink suggestion by Mark Protheroe