- 2 mackerel fillets (about 75gm each), skin removed, sliced horizontally
- 2 tsp baby capers in vinegar, rinsed, drained
Pickled daikon and radish
- 100 gm daikon (about ¼ daikon), thinly sliced lengthways on a mandolin
- 2 radishes, thinly sliced into rounds on a mandolin
- 125 ml each rice wine vinegar and brown rice vinegar (½ cup)
- 100 gm caster sugar
- 1For pickled daikon and radish, place daikon and radish in separate small bowls. Bring vinegars and sugar to the boil in a small saucepan over medium heat, stirring occasionally until sugar is dissolved, then remove from heat, cool slightly, pour half over daikon and remainder over radish and set aside to cool.
- 2Arrange mackerel, daikon and radish on serving plates, scatter over capers, lemon rind and sorrel, season to taste, drizzle with a little of the vinegar pickling liquid and a little oil and serve.
If wood sorrel leaves are unavailable, substitute baby sorrel leaves or baby cress.
This recipe is from the February 2011 issue of
Drink Suggestion: 2010 Uehara Shuzo Soma no Tengu Junmai, Shiga, Japan Drink suggestion by Katrina Birchmeier