- 1 tbsp extra-virgin olive oil
- ½ Spanish onion, finely chopped
- ½ garlic clove, finely chopped
- 1 litre freshly squeezed, strained orange juice (4 cups)
- Pinch of saffron threads
- 2 carrots, sliced diagonally
- 200 gm turnips (about 3 small), finely chopped
- 20 red mullet fillets, bones removed (see note)
- To serve: shiso cress
- 1Heat oil in a pan and cook onion and garlic over medium heat until softened (3-4 minutes). Add orange juice and saffron and bring to the boil. Add carrot and turnip, reduce heat to low and simmer until juice reduces slightly and vegetables are tender (10-15 minutes).
- 2Place mullet skin-side up in a lightly oiled deep-sided tray. Pour over orange juice mixture, season to taste, cool, then cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate until well chilled (2½-3 hours). Serve mullet and vegetables drizzled with marinade and scattered with shiso cress.
Note Red mullet is often sold as a whole fish. Ask your fishmonger to clean and fillet it for you. You may need to order it in advance.
Drink Suggestion: A white wine with bright aromatics and vibrant acidity, such as the 2006 Antonopoulos Adoli Ghis, which is a blend. Drink suggestion by Andrew Phillpot
The Latest from Gourmet Traveller
- Fast RecipesCitrus-cured salmon with horseradish cream and bagelsYesterday 11:00pm
- Fast RecipesChar-grilled capsicum salad with sherry vinaigretteYesterday 11:00pm