“Our version of the risotto alla Milanese is topped with a paper-thin saffron wafer.”
- Small pinch of saffron
- 40 gm rice flour, sieved
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 8 veal osso buco pieces (250gm each)
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 750 ml dry white wine
- 1 vine-ripened tomato, coarsely chopped
- 1 fresh bay leaf
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 4 golden shallots, finely chopped
- 200 gm carnaroli rice
- Pinch of saffron threads
- 1 litre (4 cups) hot vegetable stock
- 80 gm (1 cup) finely grated parmesan
- 2 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- Finely grated rind of 1 lemon
- 2 tbsp flat-leaf parsley, finely chopped
- 1Preheat oven to 140C. Bring saffron and 240ml water to the boil in a small saucepan. Whisking continuously, add rice flour and cook, stirring occasionally, until thick (1-2 minutes). Cool to room temperature, then spread 1 tbsp mixture into a 12cm round on a baking tray lined with baking paper. Repeat to form 4 rounds. Bake until dry (30-40 minutes), cool completely on trays, set aside.
- 2For osso buco, increase oven to 160C. Heat oil in a casserole over medium-high heat, add osso buco and cook, turning once, until golden (3-5 minutes each side), remove and set aside. Add onion and sauté until starting to soften (3-5 minutes), add wine, tomato and bay leaf and bring to the simmer, add osso buco, cover and roast until meat is tender (1-1½ hours). Remove veal, coarsely shred meat (reserve bones and meat separately) and set aside. Simmer braising liquid over medium heat until reduced by two-thirds (25-30 minutes), return meat to braise, set aside and keep warm. Place marrow bones on a heatproof tray and set aside.
- 3Meanwhile, for saffron risotto, heat oil in a saucepan over medium heat, add shallot and sauté until tender (2-3 minutes). Add rice and saffron, stir to lightly toast (2 minutes), then gradually add stock, one ladleful at a time, adding more as it is absorbed, until rice is tender and creamy (25-30 minutes). Add parmesan, season to taste and keep warm.
- 4Meanwhile, for gremolata, combine all ingredients in a bowl and refrigerate.
- 5Preheat a grill over high heat. Divide osso buco among 4 ovenproof serving dishes, top with saffron risotto and grill until golden (3-5 minutes). Warm marrow bones under grill (2-3 minutes), serve hot topped with gremolata, with risotto topped with saffron wafers.
This recipe is from the May 2010 issue of .