For a heartier meal, cut up the grilled asparagus and toss everything through some fresh pasta.
- 2 eggs (see note)
- 2 bunches asparagus, trimmed
Garlic and anchovy butter
- 50 gm butter, coarsely chopped
- 4 anchovy fillets
- 1 garlic clove, finely chopped
- 2 tsp lemon juice, or to taste
- 1For garlic and anchovy butter, heat butter in a frying pan over medium heat until starting to brown (1-2 minutes). Add anchovy and garlic and stir until fragrant and anchovy starts to break down (1-2 minutes). Season to taste with lemon juice and freshly ground black pepper and keep warm.
- 2Meanwhile, bring a deep-sided frying pan filled with water to a simmer over medium heat. Carefully crack eggs into water and cook over medium heat until soft-poached (3 minutes).
- 3Meanwhile, preheat a char-grill on high heat. Brush asparagus with olive oil and grill, turning occasionally, until asparagus is golden and tender (2-3 minutes).
- 4Divide asparagus among plates, then remove eggs from water with a slotted spoon and place over asparagus. Drizzle butter over, scatter with chervil and parmesan, if using, and serve immediately with crusty bread.
Use very fresh eggs for poaching – if the proteins haven’t started to break down then you won’t need to add vinegar or salt to the water, which taints the taste of the eggs.
This recipe is from the September 2009 issue of
The Latest from Gourmet Traveller
- DestinationsMade in India: the designers and makers of BengaluruYesterday 4:59am