- 1 garlic clove
- 1 tbsp coarsely chopped thyme
- Finely grated rind and juice of ½ lemon
- 2 tbsp extra-virgin olive oil, plus extra for drizzling
- 4 sirloin steaks (about 180gm each), at room temperature
Caramelised beans and shallot
- 80 ml olive oil (1/3 cup)
- 3 garlic cloves, thinly sliced
- 450 gm green and yellow beans, trimmed
- 3 golden shallots, thinly sliced
- 2 tbsp lemon juice
- ½ tsp dried chilli flakes
- 1 tbsp balsamic vinegar
- 1 tbsp thyme
- 1Preheat oven to 200C. Pound garlic, thyme, lemon rind and ½ tsp sea salt in a mortar and pestle to a coarse paste, stir in lemon juice and oil, brush thickly over steaks and set aside to marinate (10 minutes).
- 2Heat a char-grill pan over medium-high heat. Char-grill steaks, turning occasionally, until browned (6-8 minutes), transfer to oven and roast until cooked to your liking (2-3 minutes for medium-rare). Set aside to rest (5 minutes).
- 3Meanwhile, for caramelised beans and shallot, heat oil and garlic in a frying pan over medium heat until fragrant (1 minute). Add beans and shallot, stir until lightly browned (4-5 minutes), add lemon juice and chilli, season to taste and stir until beans are just tender (3-5 minutes). Add vinegar and thyme and stir until fragrant (1 minute). Serve with sirloin steaks.
This recipe is from the November 2012 issue of .