- 250 gm fine fresh breadcrumbs from sourdough bread
- 80 gm (1 cup) finely grated parmesan
- 1/3 cup coarsely chopped flat-leaf parsley
- 4 veal cutlets (about 250gm each), bones removed
- 50 gm (1/3 cup) seasoned plain flour for dusting
- 4 eggs, lightly beaten
- 80 ml (1/3 cup) olive oil
- 80 gm butter, coarsely chopped
- To serve: lemon wedges
- 800 gm celeriac (about 1 large), cut into julienne, soaked in acidulated iced water for 5 minutes and drained
- 2 tbsp good-quality mayonnaise
- 1/3 cup each coarsely chopped chives and flat-leaf parsley
- 2 tsp Dijon mustard
- 1Preheat oven to 120C. Mix breadcrumbs, parmesan and parsley in a bowl, season to taste, set aside.
- 2Pound veal with a meat mallet between 2 sheets of baking paper to 1cm thick. Place flour and eggs in separate bowls and, working with one piece of veal at a time, dip in flour, then egg, then breadcrumb mixture, pressing to coat.
- 3Heat half the olive oil and butter in a non-stick frying pan over medium-high heat until butter foams. Add half the veal and cook, turning once, until golden (5-7 minutes each side for medium to medium-rare). Transfer to a baking paper-lined oven tray and keep warm in oven. Wipe pan with absorbent paper and repeat with remaining oil, butter and veal.
- 4Meanwhile for celeriac salad, combine all ingredients in a bowl. Season to taste, serve immediately with veal and lemon wedges.
The Latest from Gourmet Traveller
- Fast RecipesBeef koftas with green couscous and pistachio nutsYesterday 12:00am