- 1 Chinese roast duck, skin and meat removed
- ¼ vegetable oil
- 25 gm bean thread vermicelli
- 4 red shallots, finely chopped
- 2 tsp finely grated ginger
- 2 green onions, coarsely chopped, plus extra, thinly sliced on the diagonal, to serve
- 50 gm oyster mushrooms or fresh black fungus, coarsely chopped
- 40 gm fresh black fungus, optional, finely chopped
- 10 water chestnuts, peeled and coarsely chopped
- ¼ cup Shaoxing rice wine
- 1 tbsp soy sauce
- 2 tbsp oyster sauce
- 2 tbsp chicken stock or water
- 2 tbsp finely chopped garlic chives
- 1 iceberg lettuce, leaves washed and trimmed to form cups
- 1Place duck skin on a wire rack placed over an oven tray and bake at 180C for 15 minutes or until lightly crisp, cool, then cut into thin strips. Chop duck meat into 5mm pieces.
- 2Heat a wok over high heat, add 1/3 cup oil and cook vermicelli, in 2 batches for 30 seconds or until puffed and crisp, then drain on absorbent paper.
- 3Drain all but 1 tbsp oil from wok, return wok to high heat, then add shallots and ginger and stir for 2 minutes or until fragrant. Add duck meat, green onions, mushrooms and half the water chestnuts and cook for 2 minutes.
- 4Add rice wine, sauces and stock, combine well, then simmer for 4-5 minutes or until liquid has nearly evaporated. Add garlic chives and remaining water chestnuts, combine well and season to taste with sea salt and freshly ground white pepper.
- 5Serve iceberg lettuce cups, vermicelli, extra sliced green onions and duck mixture topped with sliced duck skin, in separate bowls, for guests to assemble themselves.
Drink Suggestion: 2004 Jacob’s Creek Reserve Sparkling.